Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Once Upon A Sketch

My 3rd post in 2 days! I don't think I've ever done that before. :)  It's nearly end of the month, so not too much time left to get my layout in that I've created for Once Upon a Sketch. I absolutely adore Nadia's sketches and I always have the best intentions to play along, but you know how it goes.
This month I had the opportunity as I went to the HBS Retreat over the weekend and had a bit more time to create. :) The challenge for May is to interpret the theme 'Mum' however you like and to base your layout on the next sketch. 
I knew straight away what I wanted to do, but it was a bit of an emotional struggle for me. You see, I don't often put my private thoughts on paper for the world to see, but on the other hand, I knew that this would be therapeutic for me at the same time. As the mother of 2 teenagers, I constantly struggle with the fact that I have to 'let go'. It's so hard to see your kids wanting to make their own decisions (even if you know it's the wrong ones) and to let it happen. So this layout is for my son (he's 19 and well on his way to becoming an adult), so that he knows that no matter what... I'll always be there for him.  I've mainly used the Bo Bunny 'Country Garden' collection.
 A close up of my journalling...
 and my title...
 ... and my little cluster. :)
I love how it's turned out and I'm intending to play along with Once Upon A Sketch more often. :)
Thank you for popping by my blog and for your comments.  They make my day.
Until next time.
M xox

13 comments:

Colleen B. said...

This is beautiful and very touching, I know I am going to struggle with the same thing :(

Adriana B said...

wonderful take on the challenge, love that flower bloom, so gorgeous, have a great week :)

sarah martin said...

Gorgeous layout Marelize! I just love the cluster and beautiful photo. What heartfelt journalling too.
Hope you had a fabulous time at the retreat xo

Leonie said...

Completely lovely Marelize.
You're journalling is beautiful. I'm sure when our kids look back on our pages (which hopefully they will!) these are the ones that will mean the most to them The ones where we lay bare our most private thoughts.
How cute are those sparkly stars?!
Cheers. :)

Chantelle said...

Really love this LO Marelize - beautiful words and a great picture. I can only imagine that it's hard to let go as your kids get older but you are an amazing mum, so I'm sure you have a great bond too!! Enjoy the rest of this week and TFS.

Al Hannah said...

Marelize, love your take on the sketch. And your journalling is beautiful too!

Jasmine S said...

This is just beautiful Marelize. You have bought a tear to my eye. Your words are so true and I think of things like that all of the time and my boys are not even old enough yet. I love the green and the photo is just beautiful.

Jennifer Shaw said...

A lovely LO and heartfelt journaling. Yes it is a hard thing to se them grow up so fast and to feel the pain of their "growing pains". We sometimes think that the hardest time is when they are little but each phase of their life has it's struggles for us. I guess we are parents for life. Love how you did these alphas. So much depth!

Kim said...

so beautiful Marelize, and the journalling is just sooo heartfelt!!

Heather Jacob said...

gorgeous .. such a perfectly perfect page .... love the colors you have used and you have nailed the sketch xoxo

Kerryn said...

It's beautiful Marelize! The colours are divine!

Cathy said...

Such a beautiful take on the challenge Marelize.. adore this!! :))

Clare said...

Wow that made me really teary Marelize. What beautiful words. Not being a Mummy (well apart from my two furbabies) I can only imagine how painful it must be watching them grow into adults and having to let them make their own decisions. At least the kids know what a wonderful Mum they have and will always be there no matter what. That is such a gorgoeus photo of you and Mark. A lovely layout. Hugs Clare xxx